Job Title: Design Manager
Department: Book Group
Reports To: Associate Publisher
About Our Company:
becker&mayer! is one of the largest book producers in the United States, developing both adult and juvenile novelty and gift books for clients worldwide. Our titles span a wide array of nonfiction topics and licenses and are published under our clients' names, which include Chronicle Books, HarperCollins, Random House, Thunder Bay, Silver Dolphin, Disney, Scholastic and Simon & Schuster, among others. Many of our books are produced under license with companies such as Disney, Lucasfilm Ltd., Marvel, Star Trek, Mattel, WWE, Hello Kitty and many more. We are the recognized leader in creating and manufacturing innovative and original products in the "book-plus" category.
About the Role:
becker&mayer! is seeking a highly creative and motivated Book Design Manager to lead a dynamic design and photo research team. This position is responsible for setting a standard of quality and excellence, managing the departmental workflow and actively contributing to new ideas and title development. This individual is an experienced manager with a demonstrated ability to support, mentor, and inspire members in a fast-paced environment, as well as, meet deadlines, troubleshoot issues and adhere to set budgets. Duties also involve hands-on design responsibilities for book projects, proposals, and sales materials. This candidate will work as part of a collaborative editorial and production team on specific titles, and will lead individual and collective efforts that link to key company-wide goals—both creatively and fiscally.
- Lead a team of designers and a photo researcher to effectively create and communicate a range of design styles for adult and juvenile books.
- Provide specific art, design and photo guidance and motivate the team to research marketplace trends and content for developing proposals.
- Participate in brainstorms and collaborate with other departments on new ideas that push the boundary on innovative formats, design styles and production techniques.
- Direct and adjust workflow depending on the priorities of the business, enlist freelance support as needed, and provide oversight on contract resources to ensure they fall within budgetary parameters.
- Advise team members on illustration and photo budgets for proposals and projects.
- Anticipate potential design and illustration problems, devise alternate options or solutions and troubleshoot scheduling issues to ensure on-time delivery.
- Act as the primary design contact for all new licenses, review style guides and assess viability of design/illustration assets.
- Foster ongoing relationships with key design and illustration contributors, and explore and develop new freelance partnerships.
- Mentor individual team members and provide set career path and growth opportunities.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong time-management/prioritization skills and demonstrated ability to deliver high-quality work while juggling multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent communication and leadership skills and ability to inspire and motivate team members in day-to-day work and during peak times.
- Exceptional computer skills, including MAC OS X systems and MS Office Suite; advanced skills with Adobe Creative Suite, including InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator; digital illustration skills and familiarity with 3-D adaptation a plus.
- Expertly versed in prepress standards and the printing process.
- Proven hands-on experience in executing book design and directing illustration for print media. Draws on professional knowledge of book publishing and the industry’s evolving market.
- Highly energetic and proactive in exploring and anticipating topics and trends that could translate as timely and successful book projects.
- Demonstrated ability to negotiate effectively with external design and illustration and photo resources and to enlist and develop new resources.
- Strong independent contributor but also collaborates effectively within a team framework.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated adaptability to collaborate effectively with an array of creative talents/personality types, both in-house and externally.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- B.A. in graphic design or the equivalent required
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience in print design desired
- 3 years of managerial experience desired
- Book-publishing experience desired; packaging-design experience a plus
- Ongoing professional connections to graphic arts professionals desired
- Design experience with both adult and juvenile publishing a plus
Please submit a cover letter and resume via email to email@example.com. Be sure to note Design Manager in the subject line.
becker&mayer! is an Equal Opportunity Employer.